Thursday 25 February 2010

Photos from the Exhibition

http://www.agracefuldeath.blogspot.com/ for details of the A Graceful Death exhibition now in London till the 28 February
http://www.antoniarolls.co.uk/ for my website
antonia.rolls1@btinternet.com to email me


Photos from the Exhibition.


A view of the "Portrait of a Couple" and others


A view of "Glum Angels Triptych" and "Goodbye Michael, Goodbye Old Friend"


A view of "Loneliness Triptych". The most pressing pain was not knowing where Steve had gone. Where did he go? In this triptych, I sit alone with an empty chair and Steve's slippers, then there are only two empty chairs, and then just Steve's slippers. I am looking straight ahead and my eyes are red from crying. The theme of the painting is emptiness. Loss, things Going. things Not Being There.

A View of my favourite ever "A Graceful Death 2". This is the day Steve went to another unknown unknowable place. He was beyond us, wherever that is, and I was left with his empty beautiful body. There are two inspirations for this painting, one is the wonderful Deposition paintings of Holbein, of the stark 15 and 16 century paintings of the Entombment of Christ, Christ Crucified. The power of the iimage is made more dramiatic by making it represent Jesus who is the Son of God. The second inspiration was from an artist i met called Stevan Stratford who painted a portrait of his daughter with a gold background that made such an impression on me. The gold in the background lifted the image to a higher plane. Steve here is in full glory and is where we all will be.
More as it all happens. Wish Dublin Friend could come. Get on plane, Dublin Friend, I have the kettle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment